In honor of one of the possible dates for John H. Watson’s birthday, we are having a sale all weekend long! From midnight tonight through Sunday (8 July) night at 11:59 pm EST you can spend a full weekend with us for just $30. Purchase now at http://www.221bcon.com/index.php/memberships
Later this summer, the very first Holmes in the Heartland conference will take place in St. Louis, IL. It promises to be a welcoming gathering for all sorts of Holmes fans and lots of fun. A number of Watsonians are planning to attend; I wish I could be there, too!
Rob Nunn (JHWS “Beacon”) shares the details:
Holmes in the Heartland will be happening on August 10-12, as we celebrate the installation of the new St. Louis Sherlockian Research Collection at the St. Louis Public Library and highlight the city of St. Louis. We will celebrate with a weekend full of BBQ, blues, tea, history and plenty of Sherlockian discussion! The weekend’s schedule includes:
Friday, August 10:
Welcome to St. Louis 221BBQ and Blues Carbuncle Night
Tour of the National Blues Museum and dinner at Sugarfire Smokehouse
Saturday, August 11:
A Curious Collection: The St. Louis Sherlockian Collection
We will be displaying the St. Louis Sherlockian Research Collection and have a full day of Sherlockian presentations at the central branch of the St. Louis Public Library. Speakers include:
- Tim Johnson, Keynote Speaker, curator of the Sherlock Holmes Collections at the University of Minnesota
- Mary Schroeder, ASH, founder of the St. Louis Sherlockian Research Collection and longtime St. Louis Sherlockian
- Bill Cochran, BSI, donor of a complete run of the Baker Street Journal to the Sherlockian Research Collection
- Bill Mason, BSI, author of “Pursuing Sherlock Holmes” and former Head Light of The Beacon Society
- Tassy Hayden, fan fiction writer and former co-host of the wildly popular The Three Patch Podcast
- Brad Keefauver, BSI, ASH, blogger at Sherlock Peoria and author of “The Elementary Methods of Sherlock Holmes”
- Don Hobbs, BSI, ASH, owner of the largest foreign language Sherlockian book collection
- Black Knights Fighting Group, displaying Baritsu and recreating the fighting techniques of Victorian London
- Plus a surprise guest speaker linking Sherlock Holmes to Missouri!
Dinner Saturday night will be at historic Favazza’s on The Hill.
Sunday, August 12:
Medical History and Afternoon Tea
Tours of The Bernard Becker Medical Library with a focus on Victorian era medical treatments starting and 9:00 and an afternoon tea at The London Tea Room following.
You can register for one, two or all three days of Sherlockian fun! More information can be found at https://parallelcasestl.wixsite.com/home/holmes-in-the-heartland. We would love to have you! Come at once if convenient!
It is just one week until 221B Con, the “Fan Con for all things Sherlock Holmes” in Atlanta, Georgia. I’ll be attending for the first time, and I’ll be part of the panel for the session on ASH, BSI, and Other Sherlockian Organizations. That panel is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, 11 April, in Salon C. (NB: The schedule is subject to change.)
I’ll also have 150 of these:
Will you be there? Saturday the 11th is also the Society’s second birthday, so I propose a lunchtime Consultation immediately following the panel. Hope to see you there!
This news will be of interest to our East Coast Watsonians. Here is an announcement from fellow Watsonian, Greg Ruby “Robin”:
The Silver Blaze (Southern Division) that was held annually from 1972 to 1998 is returning to Pimlico on Saturday, May 23rd.
You can find out more about this upcoming event at: http://fourthgarrideb.com/silver-blaze/