Later this summer, the very first Holmes in the Heartland conference will take place in St. Louis, IL. It promises to be a welcoming gathering for all sorts of Holmes fans and lots of fun. A number of Watsonians are planning to attend; I wish I could be there, too!
Rob Nunn (JHWS “Beacon”) shares the details:
Holmes in the Heartland will be happening on August 10-12, as we celebrate the installation of the new St. Louis Sherlockian Research Collection at the St. Louis Public Library and highlight the city of St. Louis. We will celebrate with a weekend full of BBQ, blues, tea, history and plenty of Sherlockian discussion! The weekend’s schedule includes:
Friday, August 10:
Welcome to St. Louis 221BBQ and Blues Carbuncle Night
Tour of the National Blues Museum and dinner at Sugarfire Smokehouse
Saturday, August 11:
A Curious Collection: The St. Louis Sherlockian Collection
We will be displaying the St. Louis Sherlockian Research Collection and have a full day of Sherlockian presentations at the central branch of the St. Louis Public Library. Speakers include:
- Tim Johnson, Keynote Speaker, curator of the Sherlock Holmes Collections at the University of Minnesota
- Mary Schroeder, ASH, founder of the St. Louis Sherlockian Research Collection and longtime St. Louis Sherlockian
- Bill Cochran, BSI, donor of a complete run of the Baker Street Journal to the Sherlockian Research Collection
- Bill Mason, BSI, author of “Pursuing Sherlock Holmes” and former Head Light of The Beacon Society
- Tassy Hayden, fan fiction writer and former co-host of the wildly popular The Three Patch Podcast
- Brad Keefauver, BSI, ASH, blogger at Sherlock Peoria and author of “The Elementary Methods of Sherlock Holmes”
- Don Hobbs, BSI, ASH, owner of the largest foreign language Sherlockian book collection
- Black Knights Fighting Group, displaying Baritsu and recreating the fighting techniques of Victorian London
- Plus a surprise guest speaker linking Sherlock Holmes to Missouri!
Dinner Saturday night will be at historic Favazza’s on The Hill.
Sunday, August 12:
Medical History and Afternoon Tea
Tours of The Bernard Becker Medical Library with a focus on Victorian era medical treatments starting and 9:00 and an afternoon tea at The London Tea Room following.
You can register for one, two or all three days of Sherlockian fun! More information can be found at https://parallelcasestl.wixsite.com/home/holmes-in-the-heartland. We would love to have you! Come at once if convenient!