Congratulations to those who endured the inaugural Gregsonian Quiz! In all six responses were received, from Elinor Gray (JHWS “Misty”), Bill Mason (JHWS “Billy”), Michael Ellis (JHWS “Lobo”), Ron Lies (JHWS “Chips”), Paul Hartnett (JHWS “Scout”), and Sheila Holtgrieve (JHWS “Daisy”). There were three perfect scores, two 9 out of 10s, and one valiant effort. There was only one minor item of controversy (a couple of people correctly noted that Lord Saltire ultimately rode away on a horse, not a bicycle. The quiz apprentice had intended the answer to be Dunlop. Either Dunlop or horse were marked as correct.). Expect another quiz in honor of our man Gregson soon.
- Sherlock Holmes is not the only great detective to reside at 221 Baker Street at the end of the 19th Century. Another simultaneously called 221 ½ Baker Street home. What was his name? Basil, the Great Mouse Detective
- In “The Adventure of the Red-Headed League”, Mr. Merryweather complains that he misses his rubber. What is it that he misses? Whist, a card game, an early version of bridge
- Irene Adler had been prima donna of the Imperial Opera of Warsaw, where she became involved with the King of Bohemia, but from where did this adventuress originate? New Jersey
- What are two good reasons to believe that there was never a blue carbuncle in the crop of Mr. Henry Baker’s goose? “A goose does not have a crop” and carbuncles aka garnets are not blue, at least no blue garnet has yet been found.
- In “The Adventure of the Priory School”, Holmes claims to be familiar with the impressions of forty-two types of bicycle tyres, and even to be able to tell the direction in which the bicycle was travelling. What brand of tyre did Lord Saltire ride away upon? Heidegger’s tyres were Palmers, James Wilder had a Dunlop tyre with a patch, but Lord Saltire did not ride away upon a tyre, he rode a led pony with special shoes to look like a cow’s hoof.
- In the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “Elementary, my dear Data” a rogue hologram of Moriarty is accidentally created after Data frustrates his crewmates by instantly solving a Canonical story. Which story did Data recognize? A Scandal in Bohemia
- What is the improbable first name of Professor Moriarty’s brother? James
- In the original Canon, who is the only character to refer to Holmes as “Sherlock”? Mycroft Holmes
- The UCLA Film Archive restored many of the Rathbone/Bruce films, but much of this work was funded by a private individual. In particular, the majority of the funding for The Scarlet Claw came from this one person. What was their name? Hugh Hefner
- Only three detectives have chapters named after them in the Canon: Sherlock Holmes, Birdy Edwards, and this Scotland Yard Inspector. Who? Tobias Gregson
-Robert Perret (JHWS “Sampson”)
2 Replies to “Gregsonian Quiz Results”
Bravo! to our quiz takers and our Gregsonian quiz master for an excellent inaugural event. I’m certainly looking forward to the next one.
This was a fun one!
Comments are closed.