The John H Watson Society Weekly Quiz:
A Tribute Quiz to Prof Don Yates “Pal”
Prof Yates offered a unique form of quiz to the members attending the recent 27 December 2013 Consultation at the home of Society members Andree and Chuck Youngson. This is a quiz of word association and is not as easy as it looks. Here is a poor rendition of Dr Yates’s diabolical quiz. Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 7 pm (Pacific) on Wednesday, 8 January 2014.
The questions are direct quotes or references from the canon, reduced to single letters. For example:
A quote: “Y. h. b. t. A., I. p.” = “You have been to Afghnistan, I perceive.” Holmes; SCAR.
A reference: the r-m’d M. W. = the red-moustached Mr Woodley. Violet Smith; SOLI.
For each question, complete the quote or reference and identify the speaker or the object and the book or story where it is found. Each question is 1 point with a 5 point bonus for total accuracy (25 total possible points).
- J. D. of B. C.
- The S. S. of J. S.
- “W. a. t. w.?”
- “The d. d. n. i. t. n.”
- “P. S. A. C.—“
- ‘S t. p. o. McC., P., a J. S. of St. A.
- Mr. H., t. w. t. f. o. a g. h!”
- E. W., D. D., P. of the T. C. of St. G’s.
- “ . . . I am the s. of the R t. o. C ‘V., and G. S. is my b.m.”
- ‘. . . R. F. of F. and M, t. b., of M. L., . . .’
- “That w. o. w. t. b. t., . . .”
- ‘ . . . the i. g. of N., . . .’
- “Some day the t. s. may b. t.”
- “S. w. m. h. u. t. t., . . .”
- ‘I. t. y. 1878 I t. m. d. of D of M of t. U. of L.,’
- “Shall the w., then, b. o. b. o.?”
- “Our b. are f. and the n. e.” Holmes; GREE.
- ‘ . . . I y. f. t. g. of the N. F., or t. s. of S.”
- ‘Must s. y. over C. W. C. at o. /s/ M.
- M. A. Upon S. H.