The Society extends warm welcome to Benoit Guilielmo as a Charter Member of The John H Watson Society. M Guilielmo, or Ben as he refers to himself, is an eminent member of the French Sherlockian and Watsonian world and is our first European member and the first member of the Society from France. Well-published, we look forward to his scholarly contibutions to The Watsonian in future.
Ben’s biography follows:
Benoit Guilielmo is an amateur Watsonian, a partisan of the growing block universe theory and a fervent admirer of PG Wodehouse. He’s an active member of the Société Sherlock Holmes de France and of the Sherlock Holmes Society of London.
He is interested in many aspects of Dr. Watson’s life and works: Watson’s pawky humour; Watson’s skills as a popular fiction writer; Watson as a detective; and many other aspects of the Watsonian personality.
Fascinated by Sherlockian speculation since his first reading of Ronald Knox’s Studies in the Literature of Sherlock Holmes, his main interest is the investigation of the methods, topics, issues and disagreements of Sherlockian criticism since its beginnings. He is currently working on minor and major figures and studies of Watsonian scholarship of the late 1920s and early 1930s.
He lives on the lovely French Riveria at Nice.
– “A Note on the Disappearance of Watson’s memory in LADY,” The Serpentine Muse, Vol. 27 n°1, Winter 2010.
– “Prolegomena to a Basic Invisible Holmesian Library,”The Serpentine Muse, Vol. 27 n°2, Spring 2011.
– “Sénèque contre les Holmésologues,”Mémoires et Documents n°13 (2011), Société d’études Holmésiennes de la Suisse Romande.
– “Eugène Piff-Pouff: Forerunner of French Holmesian Scholarship,” The Sherlock Holmes Journal, Vol. 30 n°2, Summer 2011.
– “The Sources of Ronald Knox’s Satire: A Reappraisal,” The Sherlock Holmes Journal, Vol. 30 n°2, Winter 2011
– “Desmond MacCarthy and The Chronological Problem,” The Saturday Review of Literature, January 2013
– “L’Holmésologie: silly questions et vérificationnisme,”Ironmongers Daily News, n°7333, Société Sherlock Holmes de France.
– “Le gai savoir holmésien de Ronald Knox,” (Forthcoming 2013), Société d’études Holmésiennes de la Suisse Romande.
On behalf of the Founding Members and the Charter Members of The John H Watson Society, we extend the traditional welcome to members: “You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive.”
Please join in welcoming Ben to our fold by leaving your personal welcoming greeting in the Comments.
“Nous prolongeons notre accueil chaleureux et que vous sommes très reconnaissants pour votre soutien de The John H Watson Society.”
— le garçon en boutons.