Robert Perret (JHWS “Sampson”) returns with another…
For those who, while brave, are usually out of their depths
Please note that this is a different sort of challenge from the Annual Treasure Hunt – you won’t be searching wide range of reference materials to add up to a mysterious treasure. For this challenge, try to be like Holmes: sitting in your chair working out the answers from the information in your lumber-room. Give Google a rest and see what you can answer from your own specialized knowledge!
Send your answers by email to the JHWS Quizmaster by 2nd December. Answers will be posted in three weeks, on the 3rd of December.
- In the popular 2013 series Шерлок Холмс many of the classic Canonical stories are remixed. For instance, whom does Watson marry in this show?
- A Study in Scarlet first appeared in November of 1887 in what periodical?
- What is the alternate title of William Gillette’s famous 1899 play Sherlock Holmes?
- What was Shinwell Johnson’s nickname?
- What was the occupation of Watson’s friend Lomax?
- If we were never to leave the Canon, we would know very little about Mrs Hudson, not even her first name. In fact, the Mrs Hudson we now know was largely created not by Conan Doyle but by this popular Sherlockian author in the 1933 essay “The Singular Adventures of Martha Hudson.”
- Sesame Street has its own “great” detective in the style of Sherlock Holmes. What is his name?
- In the final scene of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows we see Holmes in a very unusual disguise (One that is echoed in BBC Sherlock). What is the disguise?
- What is the most remarkable component in Professor Presbury’s rejuvenation serum?
- What real life criminal organization are the Scowrers of The Valley of Fear based upon?