With the New Year underway, it is time to begin thinking about that annual event our ‘Calder’ (Brad Keefauver) once dubbed “Treasure or Torture”–the annual John H Watson Society Treasure Hunt. With ‘Selena Buttons’ approval, I am pleased to serve as Treasure Hunt Master for 2018. I hope to concoct a hunt you will find challenging and fun. We are taking a somewhat different approach this year. ‘TH6: Every Link Rings True’ will be a 50-question quiz rather than our usual 100 questions, and all the questions will link. Three of our previous hunts have featured some linking sections that were popular with our competitors.
To get you thinking about the possibility of participating this year, I have a small, five-question quiz below for you to think about over the next two weeks. Please do not post your answers here; your answers should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Answers will be accepted through January 29th.
Won’t you play along? As Holmes told Watson: “’Yes, you can, Watson. And you will, for you have never failed to play the game. I am sure you will play it to the end.”
TH6: Every Link Rings True Introduction Quiz
- In ten minutes or less, accept a child. With the child in mind, choose 4 brief letters. What four letters?
- Turn your four letters into a verb, send it across the moor, and confirm who it is not. Who?
- Find a restorative for [the answer to #2], and then find the soldier who supposedly took an expanded version of the same. What expanded restorative?
- Compound the cost for a lady to have a similar restorative. How much?
- With a like amount, buy a thief. Who?
Helpful Hint: Your final answer should be appropriate for the times with February right around the corner.
‘It is so long a chain, and yet every link rings true.’